Friday, November 6, 2009

Negativity

11 Weeks 1 Day

I found out yesterday that I am among only 15% of the population!!! My blood type is O neg, which means there's a protein that most people have in their blood but I don't. I always knew I was special! :) James needs to find out his blood type, though he's pretty sure he's neg, too. Basically, what this means for Piglet is that if Piglet's mommy and daddy are both negative, then Piglet's blood is negative, and there's no problem. If, however, daddy's blood is positive while mommy's is negative, Piglet could have positive blood. This is still fine. However, on the off chance that something happens that causes mine and Piglet's blood to mix (like a car accident or I fall down hard or something), my blood could start producing antibodies to fight off Piglet's blood because it's different from mine. But there's a shot they'll give me if that becomes an issue, so it's nothing to worry about. And I think they'll go ahead and give me that shot around 28 weeks even if we have no reason to be concerned, just to be safe. But, it all depends on James' blood type. He's checking on that...

I never knew blood types mattered much. I think there's an Adventures in Odyssey episode that jokes about different blood types...that's all I know about it!!! :)

4 comments:

  1. No worries friend. My sister had to have those shots. She had two little ones without any problems. Didn't realize it was so rare. I've known a couple of people who have had to get the shots. Maybe it's just me knowing so many pregnant women=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i vaguely remember that adventures in odyssey, but i can't remember any of what it was. i just remember them discussing blood types.

    i hope piglet likes adventures in odyssey.

    dear old dude dad (grandpop) sends a kiss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Just one more thing to think about! Goodness... LOVE you and piglet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shot isn't so bad. I had to get one after I miscarried. Hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete