Saturday, September 4, 2010

Life with a Baby

So far, Elijah's young life has been spent mostly at home. I'm now a stay-at-home momma, which I love, and our activities have been mostly structured around his schedule-when he needs to eat, sleep, etc. Well, now we are "re-entering" the real world of activity that is not planned around him. I am so thankful that he is such a flexible baby, but I am also aware of how different changes do throw him off. This week, we started 24:14 (the last part of our church's training program before we are sent out as church-planters). Normally, this schedule will involve our being at "school" from 8:20-12:30 Tuesdays through Fridays, but we started the year with a three day retreat outside of Waxahachie. We didn't have any say in the schedule, so it was an adventure to figure out how to keep him happy and quiet all day during our activities. We definitely set up his blanket, pac'n'play, and bouncer (at different times!) for him in the back of the room where we were meeting! And when we got our hotel room it was just down the hall from where we were meeting, so then during nap times, we left him alone in the hotel room and just took the baby monitor down the hall with us!!! Big steps for me as a momma!!! And for the record, yes, it's a new thing to be focusing both on worship and on the little red lights on the baby monitor to see if my son is crying yet!! He didn't eat quite as well in the camp cafeteria because it was so noisy. He would get distracted or startled and not be interesting in eating, so while I tried that some of the time, as much as possible I took him back to our room to feed him so he'd get some peace and quiet.

Then, last night was another big step!! James and I had a church-related appreciation dinner to attend at someone's house, and they offered childcare at someone else's house. We decided it was time, so we left Elijah in the childcare over there!! I couldn't just pop in and check on him, he was a whole ten minutes (or at least five...) away! They had a bunch of kids, from Elijah's age to probably 7 or 8 years old, and 3 childcare workers. I was nervous, but he did great! He ate his whole bottle (that was one amazing babysitter-that takes perseverance!!), and he even slept for about an hour. I didn't go overboard and give them a bunch of instructions, I just said what time to give him his bottle. I didn't want to be overprotective and demanding. Of course in the back of my mind I was thinking, "Should I have told them to swaddle him when it's time for him to sleep? Should I tell her to switch how she's holding him if he's not interested in the bottle?..." But he did great!! And I think I did pretty great for a first-timer, too! James and I both were excited to pick Elijah up again, but it was freeing and encouraging to know that we could safely leave him. The girl asked when we dropped him off how he normally does when we leave him, and I felt bad telling her we hadn't done it before. Hopefully that didn't make her nervous! :)

I've pulled out the 3-6 month clothes and packed away the 0-3 month clothes. There are some CUTE options in this next batch!!

Pictures to follow soon.

2 comments: