Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Bench Building!!!


I'm excited about this project! I just made a bench to go along with our table!!! Super fun, and not terribly hard!

I found a coffee table on craigslist for $20. It's a different style than what I was thinking, but I like it!
Getting ready to paint! I like that it has the pieces in the middle-makes it feel like it's stronger, since people will be sitting on it!
Oops. I didn't take a picture of it after I painted it before doing the next step. Here's the next photo I took:

This is after I added some extra planks of wood to make it just a smidge taller, and then foam.

For the foam, this is ESSENTIAL:
Newsflash: Foam is expensive!!! I sat on all the different thicknesses (from 1/2 in to 5 in) in the store, and decided that for what I was looking for, the 3 in was what I wanted-comfortable enough that you don't feel the hard surface underneath. The bad news-the 3in foam is 42.99/yard!!!!! I thought doing this stuff ourselves would be cheaper, but I realized it's not always as easy as it looks! So, I waited for a sale they had this past weekend where the foam was 50% off, or you could use their coupons. I get a 40% off coupon in my email almost every week. You just have to be patient to space these things out. :)

Cutting the foam was a challenge! I got a 24x40in piece and needed it to be 20x48. Yes, I had to do that math in my head at the store. And almost got too short a piece but figured it out right at the last minute! To cut it, I used an electric knife borrowed from a friend. Good thing she had one-I wanted to get the project done that day!! :)

I also bought batting (way cheaper-something like $7.99/yard) to go over the foam. It smooths all the edges and makes it feel more finished. A more experienced friend gave me the downlow on what I needed! Here's the bench with the batting covering it. All that's needed now is the fabric!


Ta-da!!!
My staple gun was one of my best birthday presents ever. After my engagement ring, of course! :)
So there it is! It did end up costing more than I'd hoped, but it's so satisfying that I put it all together and it looks exactly like I wanted! :)


1 comment:

  1. I am in love with this project! You did an amazing job!!

    ReplyDelete