Thursday, December 8, 2011

Support System

I just want to say that I'm thankful for the friends I have who are doing this parenting thing with me.  Whether they're 10 or 20 years ahead of me, or a month or two, or a year or two, or even months behind, there is just something AWESOME about not walking these roads alone!  I am SO thankful that when I have a question about baby feeding or sleeping or illness or toys or anything, I have several people I can shoot emails to or call or text, and I can great advice back!  A couple of those lifesavers for me have been Mandy, Stacy, Lauri, and Autumn, just off the top of my head, but I want to give a special shout-out to Autumn!  I feel like every time Elijah starts doing something new or I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do next, she says, "Oh, Mia did that SAME thing.  Here's what I did..." and it's always such solid advice!  It happened again this week, about nap-dropping, etc, and she sent me a quick, super-informative email that was really helpful!  And yesterday, Elijah slept for three hours in the afternoon!  Can it get any better?  I submit that it cannot!!  I realize that's just one day and we have NO pattern yet, but still.  I was encouraged!

So I just want to encourage everyone to ask questions of those "who have gone before" (haha) in whatever circumstance you're facing, and to be willing to gently offer advice or encouragement to people who look like they need it.  It makes a difference!  Of course, there's a flip side.  There are lots of people whose advice I'm not frequently seeking out, and there are definitely ones I mentioned above that I ask specific things.  Mandy does a GREAT job nurturing her children's hearts and having a structured life for them.  So those are things I want to know about from her!  Stacy is a superior household manager, and her kid spread is a couple years older, so she's past some of the things I deal with and has a longer-term perspective.  Lauri's kids are also older, and she disciplines SO well.  Autumn thinks like I do about routine and schedule and organization.  Find the people who you want to learn from and ASK questions!  Yes, there are people I love and respect who parent differently and I don't ask them tons of questions.  There are definitely people I love and respect who parent similarly and I just don't have time/opportunity to ask them lots of questions.  But it is SO helpful to have just that handful of go-to people that give me nuggets of truth!

So THANK YOU!  If you've EVER answered these questions for me, or just commiserated with me as I've been confused or frustrated (Uh, MOM!), or anything else, I just want you to know that I am SO thankful for you and I hope to also be helpful to the people around me!!

Proverbs 15:22 says, "Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed."
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment