Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Happy Birthday, Elijah!

Sarah Postma of Renewed Image Photography snapped this adorable shot
Happy birthday, precious son!  What a sweet journey these last two years have been!  I know that when you're all grown up, I'll look back and it will seem like these days passed in the blink of an eye, but right now I'm enjoying (mostly) the way the days seem to pass slowly.  I read somewhere recently that the days are long but the years are short...so true!

I remember bringing you home from the hospital.  I had a killer headache for the first five days of your life, and I was so scared.  I didn't have a clue what to do with you (well, yes...I'd read lots of books and had lots of advice and help...but still felt so ill-equipped!) and I just didn't want to mess up.  I wanted you to feel so loved and valued.  I wanted you to have a structured, orderly environment and I wanted you to start learning from the very beginning.  I wanted you to know Jesus and devote your life to him.

Now, fast forward two short years and you are already fulfilling my dreams and prayers for you!  I pray daily for you, and I love seeing how God is already answering!  I pray for you to be joyful and compassionate, confident and loving, submitted to authority and to delight in the presence of God.  At different times of your life so far, different ones of these have shown up so sweetly.  Currently I'm noticing your compassion as you gently love your baby sister.

Some of my favorite things about you right now, little buddy, are your songs (both real and made up, vocal and guitar), your prayers (you thanked Jesus for Mommy today and I could have just cried), and your sweet blend of how you communicate with words, actions, and sound effects (you just told me "chocolate, Baba," made your siren sound which means fire truck, and did the airplane motion and sound with your hand.  Yes, sweetheart,  we are going to Baba's house tomorrow after we go on the airplane, and you will have a chocolate cake with a fire truck on it, like we talked about earlier!  What a memory you have!  I love figuring out what story you're telling me!

You sure do get attached to your ideas sometimes.  You are starting to throw big crying fits when you're disappointed or frustrated, and Mommy and Daddy are working on teaching you how to handle those emotions without losing control.  You love us so well and I love how you say, "Wah-wee Mommy" to apologize for disobeying.

My life would be so incomplete without you in it.  I am so glad you are our son, our firstborn, our delight, our precious treasure.  May you grow to live out the meaning of your name-may the Lord truly be your God and may future generations yet to be created come to know Him because of your life!







No comments:

Post a Comment