Sunday, September 30, 2012

Eczema

At Ellie's 4 month appointment, I showed the doctor a rash that had just broken out all over her skin.  It totally freaked me out, but he wasn't concerned at all.  "Eczema," he said, and proceeded to tell me what soaps, moisturizers, and lotions to use to best help her skin.  He instructed me to try to bathe her daily to expose her to more moisture, and warned me away from the baby wash I'd been using since Elijah was born!  I've been following his instructions, and while at some points her skin has somewhat cleared up, overall, it's not gone away.  A couple weeks ago, certain patches got really bad, and I was afraid it was no longer simply eczema.  The insides of her elbows got horribly red, and actually started weeping-as in her skin was producing moisture.  Not pus, exactly, but still-not good!  We were headed out of town but I stopped using any creams in case it was an allergic reaction, and within a couple days, the top skin all peeled off and new skin grew in underneath.  Since then, it's been back and forth on her inner elbows, her neck, and the backs of her knees just looking really red and peely, and the rash has returned more pronounced.  I finally caved and took her back to the doctor this week, even though I figured he's say it was just eczema.  Fortunately, though it was still the eczema, it was good that I took her in because he gave me prescriptions for a couple stronger creams to put on her skin.  So it's not wasted...I didn't want to be the mom that cried wolf, you know?  I took Elijah in one time for what was actually just baby acne...  :)
One doctor did say Elijah had a touch of eczema when he was tiny, but it was never anything serious, we never had to even be real careful about putting lotion on him.  With Ellie, though, I'm afraid it's a legitimate diagnosis-her skin looks different when she goes two days without a bath, and it's clearly dry, red, and itchy.  We pray this won't be a long-lasting issue for her, but are thankful that it's still a minor one!  It's very normal for babies to experience and they often outgrow it!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment